Monday, January 24, 2011

Parenthood?

Whaaaaaat?! No way man.

I just got an email that read:

Don't worry, I will give you plenty of notice, just in case you have another job or need to find a babysitter.


What. The. Fuck.

Just no.

I'm 18, and yes this industry is a little shady and may attract the sorts of girls that have teen pregnancies, but thats not me, I'm Miss Protection. I don't mean to offend anyone out there in their teens who's pregnant, a friend of mine is a little younger than me and she has a baby, and she's a good mother, but thats just not me.

This reminds me of an incident back in highschool.

I was sitting in a computer class looking as a list of baby names, (I was doing child studies and we had to have theo stupid fake babies, I don't know why I let my friends talk me into that class, it was HELL!), when the girl next to me saw what was on my screen she asked

"Are you pregnant?" and she was serious. I was 16 at the time.

I freaked out a little and explained.

Let me tell you, I've never been much of a baby person myself. I don't think their all that cute, and I was always the girl at the back standing awkwardly when everyone else was crowded around the baby in the pram. Sure, I'll coo and ah over a puppy, but a baby? I just don't see what's so cute about them.

I've even faked the 'Aww she/he's gorgeous!' because you can't say to a new mother 'I'm not a baby person' because the thoughts in their head go something like this:

What? Your not a baby person?


What? You don't like my baby?


How could you not like my baby? It's the cutest thing in the world!


You see my conundrum. Never insult a new mother or her baby. I even faked it over my nephew, they made me hold him and took a picture of it, I handed him back in under a minute. Contrary to my mothers opinion of the photo I was NOT comfortable.

So, no, I don't have a baby and I'm not pregnant. I'm also very aware that one day when I may have a baby, I will think it's the cutest thing in the world and I will be a complete hypocrite. I am something like that scene in the cafe from Sex and the City when Miranda states: 'I don't like any other babies apart from my own.'

No comments: